Saturday, December 29, 2007

Building fires that last

Good evening all--

I have been wondering if you all have the same experience I have when building and tending a fire. It seems, when you leave a fire alone; it has a tendency to burn out. Yet, if you keep messing with it, moving it around, putting hot logs where cold logs are; it keeps going.

This reminds me of my God journey. When I do not tend to it; my Christian life has a tendency to grow cold. When I do not actively move to the a warm place, I tend to grow cold.

For tonight, let me encourage all of us to move toward the embers.

And, for me the embers are other folks in the body.

Warm members who keep me ignited.

The whole fire analogy is about the body of Christ.

Stay close. Tuck yourselves in. Admit you may not have all the flame yourself.

That is ok. That is really perfect.

That is why the body exists.

Climb into another's flame. Rest there. And, then, ignite another.

That is what real fire does.

Do not forsake assembling yourselves together.

Wow. Bible verse and real life fire. Nice.








4 comments:

Dixie said...

Great analogy- right on the money. Here's to 'moving the embers'...

Nimrod K said...

Totally right on. It's a great picture of our need for each other. Let's keep that idea going. I had a fire i couldn't keep going yesterday, no really, in our fireplace. The coals just never seemed to get hot enough to keep the fire up. I kept moving the logs around and adding more, but it never would take off again. It just kinda smoldered. This morning it is dead with two unused logs in there. What's that mean, how does it fit in with this analogy of the body? Man, the house is cold!!! Turn on the furnace.

Deb said...

Hi--Thanks for the comments!

Not sure how to help if a fire simply refuses to get started. Maybe a little nudging with more kindling; kind of like going back to the basics; would help. I know big logs, while filled with potential to burn brightly, are the hardest to light!

Nimrod K said...

I think you might be right. Maybe after we are in a relationship with the Lord for a while, we start to get cold. Like the church in Revelation who had forgotten their first love. We forget the main thing. Unless we get a grip on that, no matter how many "hot coals" we are around, we remain cold and dead. Hmmmm.